“Develop a point-of-care (POC) device to validate a panel of biomarkers that differentiate ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke using a blood sample.”
- I1: Patients > 18 years
- I2: Stroke code activated
- I3: Time from the onset of symptoms < 6 hours. In the case of strokes with uncertain timeline or awakening stroke, we will consider the last time patient was seen well, as the onset of symptoms.
- E1: Prehospital diagnosis different to the stroke one.
- E2: Impossibility of obtaining a blood sample at the prehospital stage
- E3: Refusal by the patient or family members to participate in the study or to grant informed consent.
...as a patient?
Although today the patient will not receive a direct benefit from the study, these values will serve to establish the basis in which the test will be put into operation in the future.If you suffer a stroke in Seville and the ambulance that is attending you participate in the study, you will be informed about the project. Once the informed consent has been signed, they will take an extra tube of blood, which will be used to measure the levels of biomarkers.
...as a hospital/researcher?
Currently Biofast project is being developed only in the province of Seville in the hospitals of Virgen del Rocío, Virgen Macarena, High Resolution Sierra Norte and San Juan de Dios Aljarafe. The participating ambulance network includes from north Seville to Aljarafe and EPES (061). However, we plan to extend this network to other provinces and districts. If you are a healthcare professional representing a hospital or ambulance network in a certain district not yet included in Biofast and you are interested in participating in the study, contact us.